This week I’m on furlough from my job. While the unpaid part of this furlough isn’t the greatest, it’s really nice to have a week off from work, a week where I am not required, nay, not even allowed to have any contact with the office. That made it stressful last week while getting ready for my time off (having to make sure everyone had all the information they needed, etc.), now that the time off is here, I’m determined to enjoy myself.
I decided that I’m going to have a week of Furlough Fun, which not only means getting some chores done around the house I’d been putting off, but doing silly, fun things I never give myself time to do on the weekends.
On today’s agenda: a green smoothie.
I’ve seen these all over the internet lately, so I decided to give it a try for myself. My version included frozen mango, frozen pineapple, fresh banana, some water, and a very large handful of baby spinach.
Yup, spinach. I know, right? That’s what’s been keeping me from trying these, but folks online keep saying how yummy they are, so I figured it couldn’t hurt to try it.
This isn’t the most appetizing, food-blogger worth photo, but I had to try to capture the green color. Amazingly, it didn’t taste “green” at all. The spinach just adds color (and vitamins and healthful goodness) while the fruits are the real flavor.
- The blender full of fruit above made enough for two smoothies (Mr. M enjoyed his, too).
- Our budget blender had a little bit of trouble blending the entire recipe all at once – next time, I’ll probably add the fruit in stages.
- I was tempted to add some strawberries and blueberries to the mix, but I’d read somewhere that berries can turn your green smoothie brown.
- To keep the green color, stick with mango, pineapple, peach, pear or apple.
- Because I used frozen fruit, I didn’t bother adding ice. I probably will when I make this with fresh fruits this summer.
Now that I’ve tried the green smoothie, I want to try some more smoothies. Do you know any good smoothie recipes I should try?
Filed in: In the Kitchen
Sites That Link to this Post
- Mini Strawberry Pies : Sweeter Lemon | June 6, 2012